The Ibanez FL9 Flanger Service Guide was compiled from a collection of original and obsolete information to create a useful guide for maintaining this unique guitar pedal. Credit must be given to the authors of the original 1980s era Service Manual NO. 002 that was used as a template for this updated guide.
November 26, 2022, Cedar Grove Studios
The .pdf version of the guide and detailed repair blog can be downloaded from the project repository:
Also available is a KiCAD folder of the as-built PCB design, contained in the project repository:
- Set SPEED, REGEN, WIDTH, and DELAY TIME controls fully counter-clockwise (CCW).
- Connect an oscilloscope to test point CP1.
- Adjust VR101 CLOCK TRIM for a frequency of 40kHz.
- Set DELAY TIME control fully clockwise (CW) and check CP1 frequency. Should be in the range of 500kHz to 600kHz.
- Set WIDTH control fully CW and check CP1 frequency sweep. The range should be from 40kHz to 500kHz-600kHz.
- Set REGEN and WIDTH controls fully CCW.
- Connect a +5dBm to +10dBm (2.5 volt) 440Hz sine wave to the INPUT.
- View the waveform on test point CP12. Adjust VR102 BIAS to achieve a symmetrically-clipped waveform.
- Set SPEED, REGEN, and WIDTH controls fully CW.
- Connect an oscilloscope to the OUTPUT with no INPUT signal
- Adjust VR103 REGENERATION TRIM until oscillation is seen. Back down VR103 REGENERATION TRIM about 10 degrees to squelch the oscillation.